Barber-Florio Water Treatment Plant
Dow Street, Cobleskill, NY 12043
Phone: (518) 234-2195
Office Hours: M-F 7:30am -3:30pm
Water Superintendent: Joseph Redmond
Assistant Water Superintendent: Nathan Wissenbach
Water Department History
The Cobleskill water system had its beginnings in 1886 when Dow Reservoir and the basic distribution mains were
constructed. The old gatehouse located in Dow Reservoir was the original treatment facility, containing a bed of
sponges through which the raw water passed on its way to the village.
A more thorough treatment facility was constructed on East Street in about 1915, and this served the village until
1961 when the present building was constructed. This facility was a conventional clarification-followed-by-filtration
The year 1967 saw the completion of a second water source, Smith Reservoir, to meet the village's increased water
demands. With increased demands and treatment capacity, a second transmission main was constructed in 1974 to supply
the distribution system with adequate pressure.
By the early 1980s, the two-reservoir supply system was again having difficulty meeting the village's needs with
an adequate safety margin. Therefore, a third raw water storage facility, Cobleskill's Holding Pond, was completed
in 1987 to store excess runoff, when available. This supply system should meet the needs of Cobleskill into the
Of course, with additional capacity to store water came the need for additional treatment capacity. This, coupled
with the fact that the original treatment facility had badly deteriorated, prompted the village to undertake the
most recent project. Although primarily a renovation, the facility's original treatment capacity was increased
by approximately 50% with the addition of a third clarifier unit and a fourth filter. Outdated equipment was replaced
with state-of-the-art treatment technology. This project was completed in 1989.